As the initial SMART Transportation Division convention will be held in 2014 – one year earlier than a UTU quadrennial convention that no longer will take place owing to the merger – plus a second SMART convention, UTU delegates are being asked to approve a $1 monthly International dues increase to be deposited into the convention fund.
The increase, if approved by delegates, will become effective Feb. 1, 2013.
Delegates will be participating in two conventions in 2014 – the Transportation Division convention and the initial SMART convention.
In a letter to UTU delegates, UTU International President Mike Futhey said:
“Not only will the time between the 2011 UTU convention and these conventions be reduced from the usual four year period, delegates will be participating in two separate conventions in 2014. Obviously, the total expenses are expected to increase substantially and available funds will be insufficient due to the shortened time period.
“As a result, the UTU Board of Directors voted to present to the delegates the $1 dues increase to be placed in the convention fund. The UTU board said it is their recommendation “to adopt the needed increase assuring your voice will be heard.”
Delegates have until Nov. 30 to return their ballots.
- Union Pacific reaches labor agreement with largest union
- TCU & Shop-Craft Coalition reaches tentative agreement with Amtrak
- Norfolk Southern and SMART-TD statement on conductor redeployment bargaining
- Ohio SLD Whitaker, senators state case for Railway Safety Act before commerce committee
- To better serve you, we have to know where you are!
- UPDATED: President Ferguson appears with U.S. Sen. Brown to discuss Railway Safety Act
- Analysis: Lawsuit means shareholders might not be OK after East Palestine
- FRA issues safety bulletin on grade-crossing shove moves after fatal accident
- Kansas rail safety legislation needs support
- Husband of TD staff member in need of liver donor