NORTONVILLE, KY. — Ruth Virginia Byrum Hicks, 85, wife of former four-term UTU International Vice President James M. “Jim” Hicks, died July 2 at their home here. They were married 68 years.
Jim Hicks was local chairperson of Local 904, Evansville, Ind., for 11 years before election in 1963 as general chairperson on Louisville & Nashville Railway (now part of CSX). He was elected alternate vice president of UTU predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen in 1968, and re-elected in 1971 and 1975 during UTU conventions. He first took office as an International vice president in 1976. Hicks also served as manager of the UTU Field Service Department from 1981 to 1983. He retired in 1990.
Besides her husband, Mrs. Hicks is survived by two sons and six grandchildren.
The family suggests any remembrances be made to Green River Hospice, 109 S. Second St., Central City, KY 42330; or Shriners Hospital for Children, 2900 Rocky Point Dr., Tampa, FL 33607.
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Split decision: Unions for engineers and conductors take different routes in freight rail contract ratification vote
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- SMART-TD, BLET town hall yields facts about tentative agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson
- Important update for all SMART-TD and BLET members included in national negotiations
- BLET, SMART-TD to host Town Hall meeting on November 9
- Update on SMART-TD balloting for National Rail Tentative Agreement
- Rule of 2 comment period extended by FRA to Dec. 21
- SMART-TD Local 206 mourns sudden loss of member