NORTONVILLE, KY. — Ruth Virginia Byrum Hicks, 85, wife of former four-term UTU International Vice President James M. “Jim” Hicks, died July 2 at their home here. They were married 68 years.
Jim Hicks was local chairperson of Local 904, Evansville, Ind., for 11 years before election in 1963 as general chairperson on Louisville & Nashville Railway (now part of CSX). He was elected alternate vice president of UTU predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen in 1968, and re-elected in 1971 and 1975 during UTU conventions. He first took office as an International vice president in 1976. Hicks also served as manager of the UTU Field Service Department from 1981 to 1983. He retired in 1990.
Besides her husband, Mrs. Hicks is survived by two sons and six grandchildren.
The family suggests any remembrances be made to Green River Hospice, 109 S. Second St., Central City, KY 42330; or Shriners Hospital for Children, 2900 Rocky Point Dr., Tampa, FL 33607.
- SM Local 24 member joins NABTU, union leaders, elected officials to highlight opportunity in Ohio
- Illinois State Legislative Director helps announce major rail project
- New SMART News features interviews with GP Sellers, incoming GP Coleman, an update on rail legislation following East Palestine, and more
- ‘Best practices’ to be discussed at officers’ TD coalition meeting in May
- From the Ballast: ‘Getting railroaded’
- Union Pacific reaches labor agreement with largest union
- TCU & Shop-Craft Coalition reaches tentative agreement with Amtrak
- Norfolk Southern and SMART-TD statement on conductor redeployment bargaining
- Ohio SLD Whitaker, senators state case for Railway Safety Act before commerce committee
- To better serve you, we have to know where you are!