NORTONVILLE, KY. — Ruth Virginia Byrum Hicks, 85, wife of former four-term UTU International Vice President James M. “Jim” Hicks, died July 2 at their home here. They were married 68 years.
Jim Hicks was local chairperson of Local 904, Evansville, Ind., for 11 years before election in 1963 as general chairperson on Louisville & Nashville Railway (now part of CSX). He was elected alternate vice president of UTU predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen in 1968, and re-elected in 1971 and 1975 during UTU conventions. He first took office as an International vice president in 1976. Hicks also served as manager of the UTU Field Service Department from 1981 to 1983. He retired in 1990.
Besides her husband, Mrs. Hicks is survived by two sons and six grandchildren.
The family suggests any remembrances be made to Green River Hospice, 109 S. Second St., Central City, KY 42330; or Shriners Hospital for Children, 2900 Rocky Point Dr., Tampa, FL 33607.
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for two-person crews
- SMART-TD LACMTA operators ratify tentative contract
- House leaders introduce bill reauthorizing STB and to assist rail customers
- Local 12 apprentices get hands-on architectural experience
- SMART-TD, BLET presidents update members following PEB 250