By Vic Baffoni,
Vice President, Bus
Congratulations to officers and members of Local 1589, New Brunswick, N.J., on a new contract that includes improved wages and benefits.
The UTU International is working with members of Local 1697, employed by TNM&O Coaches in Texas, following the carrier’s sale to Greyhound. We intend to protect their assignments and seniority.
We are monitoring proposed revisions by the FMCSA of CDL testing standards, and new minimum standards for commercial learner’s permits (CLPs).
The revisions would require successful completion of the knowledge test before issuance of a CLP, and prohibit use of foreign language interpreters.
Applicants would be required to hold a CLP at least 30 days before applying for a CDL, and an issuing state would be required to check the applicant’s driving record, plus verify Social Security numbers and proof of legal U.S. residency.
Drivers applying for a new or upgraded CDL would be required to successfully complete minimum classroom and behind-the-wheel training from an accredited program.
States would be required to recognize CLPs issued by other states, and use standardized endorsement and restriction codes on CDLs.
Drivers would not be permitted to operate a commercial motor vehicle without holding a current CLP or CDL, or to operate a vehicle in violation of the restrictions on the CLP or CDL.
The proposed revisions have been provided to state legislative directors, who will be in contact with bus property general chairpersons.
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2023
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson
- Update on SMART-TD balloting for National Rail Tentative Agreement
- VSTD premium reset and benefit changes announced
- Appearances with federal officials reinforce that union is labor leader in Kansas
- Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar hotel deadline now Oct. 28
- New Ford EV plant “a game-changer” for SMART Tenn. local
- TD Local 653 legislative representative receives Chicago labor award