CLEVELAND, Ohio, (January 28, 2022) — SMART-TD and BLET members employed by BNSF Railway continue to labor under a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) issued by the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, which was issued on Tuesday, January 25, 2022. It is imperative that all involved SMART-TD and BLET members comply with the court’s order. As was advised when the TRO was provided to all General Committees and Local Divisions/Locals, SMART-TD and BLET will continue to challenge BNSF’s Hi-Viz policy in court and will seek to have the court’s order lifted.
In related events, SMART-TD and BLET on January 27 filed answers and counterclaims in the District Court seeking a Preliminary Injunction and Permanent Injunction against implementation of the BNSF’s Hi-Viz policy. SMART-TD and BLET will continue to use every legal means available to prevent the implementation of the proposed policy. Additional information will be forthcoming as it is available.
The SMART Transportation Division is comprised of approximately 125,000 active and retired members of the former United Transportation Union, who work in a variety of crafts in the transportation industry.
The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen represents nearly 57,000 professional locomotive engineers and trainmen throughout the United States. The BLET is the founding member of the Rail Conference, International Brotherhood of Teamsters.
- SMART statement on SCOTUS roll-back of reproductive rights
- Local 1420 mourns death of Local Chairperson Kevin Spragg￼
- Watch the Skies — It’s National Lightning Safety Week!
- Former VP Robert Earley passes away
- NMB proffers arbitration to United Rail Unions
- Ferguson to House subcommittee: ‘I’m screaming into the bullhorn’ for help￼
- Third week of NMB sessions concludes; unions again call for proffer of arbitration
- TD President Ferguson to testify before House rail subcommittee
- United Rail Unions’ statement following NMB sessions
- New York two-person crew bill heads to governor for signing￼