Secretary & Treasurer Tools
The purpose of this page is to assist the SMART Transportation Division local secretary/treasurer with the duties of his or her office. Below you will have access to a number of resources to assist you.
Have questions about your duties as a local secretary or treasurer? Your Membership Representative Teams will be able to get you those answers.
A team of Membership Representatives has been assigned to provide specialized service to your local. These staff members will work to familiarize themselves with each of the locals they serve. With time and interaction with you, they will be able to provide specialized and efficient service to assist with your challenges as a Local Treasurer.
Beginning in January 2019, your Membership Representative team will be your go-to resource for any and all questions you may have as a Local Treasurer. If your Membership Representative is unable to answer your questions, he or she will escalate it to the appropriate person or department.
These assignments were communicated to locals through introductory letters sent out with the December mailings or you can view them here. Your team members will be available to help with any questions and concerns as the transition to TD Connect and the new version of WinStabs progresses.
Amanda Casale and Paula Grant
Team email: MRteamA@group.smart-union.org
Kim Dissell and Greg Hengesbaugh
Team email: MRteamB@group.smart-union.org
Team email: MRteamC@group.smart-union.org
Your team members will be in the SMART TD office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST. While we encourage you to do your best to contact your Membership Representative during office hours, SMART TD also is offering limited after-hours support to treasurers from Jan. 14, 2019, through Feb. 28, 2019. The after-hours support hotline is 216-227-5280, and it will be operational 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. EST Monday through Thursday and noon to 4 p.m. EST on Saturdays.
The Field Audit Support Help Desk also is available to help with questions about:
- Paying taxes
- Filing taxes and other reports
- Paper billing process (from 2018 and older)
Call the Field Support Help Desk at 216-227-5444. Drop-in help desk hours are 9a-5p (Central Time) M-W-F. Help desk appointments can be scheduled in advance for Tuesdays, Thursdays, weekends, and evenings. Call or email fieldauditor@group.
smart-union.org to schedule an appointment.
Training and events
A workshop has been scheduled at the SMART TD office in March to help local treasurers learn how to use TD Connect, the new eBilling system that also manages member records. Numerous workshops scheduled in late 2018 and early this year filled to capacity. Follow the link below to register.
The workshop registration deadline is March 13, 2019.
Attendees are responsible for arranging their own travel and hotel rooms. Visit this link for a list of hotel discounts available in the area.
The workshop sessions will run from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. on all three days in the first-floor training room at the SMART Transportation Division office, 24950 Country Club Blvd., North Olmsted, Ohio.
For any additional information about the workshop, please call Alyssa Patchin at 216-227-5281 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
TD Connect & Local management resources
TD Connect is your portal to access the eBilling system and to access local membership data.
- Request access to the demo version of TD Connect
- Demo version of TD Connect
- An overview of TD Connect/eBill for Treasurers (PDF)
- Roll into 2019 (PDF)
- TD Connect: Member record and program procedures (PDF)
- TD Connect: Steps for working the eBill (PDF)
- Installation of WinStabs NMR (PDF)
- Installation of WinStabs NMR (video)
- WinStabs NMB overview/features (PDF)
- Uploading WinStabs backup data to TD Connect (PDF)
Making Cents enewsletter
Guidance for the New S&T
- A guide to successful transition to office (PDF)
- Form 8822-B – IRS Notification of Change of Address (PDF)
- IRS Form 4506-T: Request for transcripts (PDF)
- Transfer of assets and records (PDF)
- Quick start guide (PDF)
- SMART Constitution (PDF)
- U.S. Department of Labor (DOL): Guide for New Local Union Officers (PDF)
- Local Treasurer duties (PDF)
- Local Secretary duties (PDF)
- Local President duties (PDF)
- Local Trustee duties (PDF)
- Local Chairman duties (coming soon)
2019 Treasurer’s Month to Month guide (PDF): The No. 1 resource for a local S&T!
The Treasurer’s checklist for completed tasks is now a feature of WinStabs NMR.
- Local Expense Claim Form (fillable PDF)
- Local Expense Claim Form (PDF)
- Wage & Reimbursed Expense Documentation (PDF)
- Mileage log (fillable PDF)
- Wage & Reimbursed Expense Documentation (PDF)
- IRS Form I-9 (fillable PDF)
- 2019 W-4 form (fillable PDF)
- DOL Guide: Authorization and Documentation of Expenditures (PDF)
- SMART TD guide to establishing or amending local bylaws (PDF)
- Local bylaws template (Microsoft Word format)
- Local bylaws template (alternate election language) (Microsoft Word format)
- Intro to Robert’s Rules of Order (coming soon)
- SMART TD Guide: Conducting Local Meetings (PDF)
- SMART TD meeting notice sign (PDF)
- Monthly meeting minutes guide (Microsoft Word .docx download)
- Updating Financial Institution Records checklist (PDF)
- Dues Direct Deposit Authorization form (PDF)
- SMART name change letter (PDF)
- SMART Transportation Division Supply Department Order Form (fillable PDF)
- SMART TD business card ordering form (PDF)
Budget & Record Keeping
- Local & LCA expense budget workbook (Microsoft Excel download)
- Local budget template (PDF)
- LCA budget template (PDF)
- Document Retention Policy (PDF)
- Transfer of assets and records (PDF)
- Records Inventory (PDF)
- Asset Inventories and Record Retention Schedule Workbook (Microsoft Excel download)
- DOL Guide: Internal Controls (PDF)
- 2019 Tax Rates (PDF)
- 2018 Tax Rates (PDF)
- SMART TD Guide: Enrolling with EFTPS (PDF)
- SMART TD Guide: CT-1 Tax Reporting (rail only requirement) (PDF)
- SMART TD Guide: Paying CT-1 Tax (rail only requirement) (PDF)
- 2018 Form CT-1 (rail only requirement) (Fillable PDF)
Note: SMART TD’s RRB unit number is 8945. This number is necessary to file Form CT-1.
- IRS instructions: Form CT-1 (PDF)
- SMART TD Guide: Paying 940 Tax and 940 Tax Reporting (PDF)
- 2018 Form 940 (FICA only requirement) (Fillable PDF)
- IRS instructions: Form 940 (PDF)
- SMART TD Guide: Paying 941 Tax and 941 Tax Reporting (PDF)
- 2018 Form 941 (Fillable PDF)
- IRS instructions: Form 941 (PDF)
- SMART TD Guide: Paying 944 Tax and 944 Tax Reporting (PDF)
- 2018 Form 944 (Fillable PDF)
- IRS instructions: Form 944 (PDF)
- SMART TD Guide: Form 990 Reporting – Annual Requirement to Maintain IRS tax-exempt status (PDF)
- IRS guide to electronic filing of 990-N (PDF)
- 2018 Form 990 EZ (Fillable PDF)
- IRS instructions: Form 990 EZ (Fillable PDF)
- 2018 Form 990 (Fillable PDF)
- 2018 Form 990, Schedule O (Fillable PDF)
- IRS instructions: Form 990 (Fillable PDF)
- Old tax forms
Social Security Administration
Department of Labor
- Guide to preparing the LM-2 (PowerPoint)
- Guide to preparing the LM-3 (PowerPoint)
- A webinar on the LM-3 (YouTube link)
- Guide to preparing the LM-4 (PowerPoint)
- A webinar on the LM-4 (YouTube link)
- SMART TD Guide: OE-1A Reporting (rail only) (PDF)
- Letter reporting no earnings for Form OE-1A (PDF)
- Form OE-1A (fillable PDF)
- Form OE-1A instructions (rail only) (PDF)
Note: SMART TD’s RRB unit number is 8945.
This number is necessary to file Form OE-1A.
- SMART TD Guide: Preparing the TAR for Trustee Review (PDF)
- SMART TD Guide: Auditing the TAR – A Guide for Trustees (PDF)
- Treasurer’s Annual Report (PDF) (If your Local uses WinStabs – use the WinStabs form.)
- Local President financial oversight (fillable PDF)
- SMART TD Membership Application (fillable PDF)
- Application for Readmission (fillable PDF)
- Authorization for Dues Deduction (PDF)
- Form E-49: Member relief from payment of dues (four forms per page) (fillable PDF)
- Form E-49: Member relief from payment of dues (single page) (fillable PDF)
- Wage assignment revocation (from BLET) (PDF)
Insurance/PAC/DIPP Info and forms
- UTU PAC pledge form: Contact via email: email@example.com
- Bus disability insurance
- Rail disability insurance
- Short-term disability waiver of coverage form
- VSTD terminate coverage form
- VLTD terminate coverage form
- DIPP information
- DIPP application (PDF)
- SMART Transportation Division Discipline Income Protection Program claim form
- UTUIA home page
- UTUIA field supervisors
(Full text of memos and directives are available through TD Connect.
- SMART Transportation Division Elections Chart 2015-2024 (PDF)
- DOL: Conducting Local Union Officer Elections (PDF)
- Local nomination notice template (PDF)
- Local election notice template (PDF)
- Local election notice postcard template (PDF)
- Report of Elections Form (fillable PDF)
- Special Circular No. 33 – August 2018: Elections of LCA Officers, Delegates and Alternate Delegates and General Chairperson Mail Referendum Elections (PDF)
- How to Hold Delegate, Alternate Delegate and Local Committee of Adjustment Elections and General Chairperson Mail Referendums – August 2018 (PDF)
- Special Circular No. 32 – August 2017: Local Officer Elections (PDF)
- How to Hold Elections for Local Officers – August 2017 (PDF)
- Special Circular No. 31: Legislative Representative and Alternate Legislative Representative elections (PDF)
- Special Circular No. 30: Local Officer, LCA, Delegate, General Chairperson Referendum Elections (PDF)
FAQ/How to get help
We hope you find these tools helpful in fulfilling your duties and welcome your comments on how the SMART Transportation Division could further assist you. If you have any questions, contact your Local’s Membership Representatives team or email the Field Audit Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.