Want to get involved? Have you been notified you are under investigation? Wish to file a grievance? Do you have membership rights question? Below are some FAQs you might find helpful.
If you have a question that is not answered below, send it in and it will be added.
- Consult your local chairperson immediately. Read the publication You Are Hereby Notified
Q. Where can I view a copy of the latest national railroad agreement?
Q. To what local do I belong and when and where does it meet?
- If you do not know your local number, view this directory where all locals are listed, including meeting times, locations and local officers or call SMART TD headquarters at (216) 228-9400 and ask for Ext. 3908.
Q. Who is my local chairperson and how can I contact him or her?
Q. Who is my general chairperson and how can I contact him or her?
Q. Who is my state legislative director and how can I contact him or her?
Q. Who is my UTUIA field supervisor and how can I contact him or her?
Q. Who are the officers of the SMART TD headquarters and how can I contact them?
Q. Who is the staff at the SMART TD headquarters and how can I contact them?
Q. What is the SMART TD Transportation Safety Team and how can I contact its members?
Q. What is the SMART TD Railroad Safety Task Force and how can I contact them?
Q. What is the SMART TD Human Rights Committee and how can I contact them?
Q. Who do I contact to file a complaint against a local union official?
- Filing charges against a local official is spelled out in the SMART Constitution, Article 21B, Section 74, as well as in Articles 17 and 18.
An advisable first step would be to call the TD President’s Office at 216-228-9400 or to send an email to the President’s Office to discuss the nature of your complaint.
Q. I would like to apply for membership in the SMART-TD or have my prior membership reinstated. How can that be accomplished?
Q. Where can I view the SMART Constitution?
Q. Where can I view the UTU Constitution?
- Consult your local chairperson immediately. Read the publication You Are Hereby Notified.
Q: I have concerns about unsafe working conditions. To whom do I express my concerns?
- You should first contact your local legislative representative and/or your local chairperson. A list is available here.
Q: I was injured on the job. What should I know?
Q: What are SMART TD Designated Legal Counsel? Why would I need their services?
Q: What are my rights with regard to employer retaliation? How will I be protected if I report allegations of fraud, waste or abuse by my employer?
- You are protected by federal law from employer retaliation when you make such reports. These “whistleblower” protections are described in this article.
Q: I have a grievance against my employer. What do I do?
- You first should talk over your predicament with your local chairperson. See this online directory of SMART TD locals and local officers to find out who that is.
Q: I am a local officer and need help to support a grievance. How can SMART TD headquarters help me?
- Visit the awards and agreements page. There you will be able to search a vast database of grievances and awards that you can use to help build your case.
- >You may also visit the National Mediation Board’s “Knowledge Store”, a searchable database of awards and agreements.
Q: I would like to search railroad agreements by text. Is that possible?
Q: Can I view information on pay rates, fringe benefits, the Railway Labor Act and yardmaster agreements on this site?
Q: I have questions about drug and alcohol testing. Where can I learn more?
Q: What is the Discipline Income Protection Program? What are the benefits of enrollment?
Q: How can I contact a UTUIA field supervisor to receive information on insurance and investment products offered by the UTUIA?
Q: What are the types of disability insurance available through SMART TD? How do I make a claim?
Q: I would like to start contributing or increase my contributions to my union’s political action committee (TD PAC). How do I do that?
- Visit the TD PAC page. More information about TD PAC or a pledge form can be obtained from your local secretary or treasurer or email TDPAC@smart-union.org.
Q: My payroll deduction is incorrect. Who do I contact to get it straightened out?
- Contact info for your local treasurer is available in this directory. You need to know your local number in order to find the correct contact information.
Q: How are my union dues divided and spent?
Q: I am a local secretary/treasurer and need assistance with my billings. How can SMART TD headquarters help me?