SMART General President Joseph Nigro has issued the following statement on the Oct. 1 shutdown of the federal government:
“It has become frustrating to see that the U.S. House of Representatives has become so dysfunctional that it can no longer do its job and pass legislation to fund basic programs and services that it has already authorized itself to do so.
“This is why confidence In the U.S. House of Representatives has reached is lowest level in history.
“Radical Tea Party Republicans are responsible for shutting down the people’s government. Their attempt at political gain puts the livelihood of many American workers and the recovery of our economy unnecessarily at risk.
“SMART proudly represents 216,000 working people in the sheet metal, construction, manufacturing and transportation industries who will be affected by the government shutdown. We appeal to the House leadership to put an end to this circus and pass the clean Continuing Resolution that has already passed the U.S. Senate.”
- PEB a.m. update: Aug. 17, 2022
- SMART statement on President Biden’s signing of the Inflation Reduction Act
- Announcement to come regarding PEB
- SMART statement on White House Back to School 2022 collaboration to improve indoor air quality
- SMART statement on passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers