State of the Unions is an excellent and very readable analysis of the current struggles and past triumphs of the American labor movement. Longtime respected labor reporter Phil Dine makes a compelling case that a much stronger labor movement is integral to any effort to restore fairness for working families and reduce America’s widening income gap.
Dine takes a look at what happened to organized labor in America and what can be done to restore it to its role of the defender of middle-class values and economic well-being.
Dine offers firsthand accounts of the union members striving to make their voices heard in a political landscape increasingly shaped by corporate interests, including how:
- The women of Delta Pride-a major player in the multi-billion dollar catfish industry-went up against generations of racial and economic prejudice
- Iowa’s firefighters union flexed its collective muscle to score a major political victory in the 2004 caucus
- The American Federation of Teachers and the AFL-CIO played a key role in bringing down the Iron Curtain
- The Teamsters enlisted community support to temporarily stop a move by Mr. Coffee to relocate to Mexico and saved nearly 400 manufacturing jobs in the Cleveland area
A reporter who has covered labor for two decades, Dine not only details where labor has gone wrong, but he also offers ideas on how it can adapt to a global economy to recover the ground it lost over the last quarter century. His book also has been updated to cove the latest assault on workers from Wisconsin to Ohio, to today’s current war in Pennsylvania and everywhere in between.
A link to purchase his book is available here.
- Growth through unity
- SMART, labor allies convene at AFL-CIO Convention to build worker power
- N.J. SLD recognized for leadership, tapped to lead economic coalition
- Fortune Magazine highlights the benefits of a union sheet metal career
- SMART TD President Ferguson and BLET President Pierce give joint interview on podcast
- Transportation labor reacts to the State of the Union Address
- VA Adds TABB As Accepted Certification Body
- Career of a lifetime: Renato Favero’s 80 years of service
- SM Local 280 SMART Army Helps Local Charity Aid Community
- New SMOHIT Safety Guide Available