President Biden delivered his second State of the Union address on February 7, 2023 – outlining the ways in which the Biden administration’s economic plan is delivering results for working families. SMART issued the following statement in response:
“On the campaign trail and during his first State of the Union speech last year, President Biden made big promises: substantial infrastructure investment for the first time in decades, the return of manufacturing to America, and an economy that works from the bottom up and the middle out, not the top down. Now, two years after the president’s inauguration, we can say that the Biden administration is delivering on those promises.
“President Biden signed legislation like the American Rescue Plan, the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, the CHIPS and Science Act and the Inflation Reduction Act into law: saving hundreds of thousands of union pensions, providing the most significant investments into our country’s infrastructure and semiconductor production in generations, and making the largest American investment in clean energy ever. These investments have already put thousands of SMART sheet metal members to work, and they will drastically improve the health and working conditions of our Transportation Division members across sectors.
“Since President Biden took office, more than 200 companies have announced private investment in manufacturing, utilities and energy to the tune of $700 billion, across all 50 states. Our members are already working these jobs, from solar panel production facilities in New York to data centers in Arizona.
“And after two years of President Biden’s agenda, the American economy has created more than 12 million jobs, with an unemployment rate of 3.4% – a 54-year low.
“But, as the president made clear in this year’s State of the Union, there is more work to do. We look forward to working with Congress and this administration to end the anti-worker corporate scheme that is Precision Scheduled Railroading. And we call on Congress to pass a billionaire minimum tax, which will finally see the one percent pay their fair share and ease the damaging impact of inflation for working families; expand the Child Tax Credit, which will lift more children and families out of poverty; extend the Inflation Reduction Act’s price cap on insulin to all Americans; and pass the Protecting the Right to Organize Act, which will make it easier for workers to form a union.”
- TCU & Shop-Craft Coalition reaches tentative agreement with Amtrak
- SMART statement on President Biden’s veto of HJ Resolution 30
- Second BE4ALL Toolbox Talk promotes “Effective Communication”
- SMART statement on Women’s Equal Pay Day 2023
- SMART Women In Construction Week video profiles first woman SMART sheet metal worker in Rhode Island
- Local 17 journeyperson details her sheet metal journey in Women In Construction Week 2023 video
- SMART-TD strongly supports bipartisan Railway Safety Act of 2023
- SMART statement on the nomination of Julie Su for secretary of labor
- SMART statement on the reintroduction of the Richard L. Trumka Protecting the Right to Organize Act
- SMART News: BE4ALL toy drive serves families in need, spreads awareness of unionized sheet metal careers