It is with deep sadness and heavy hearts that SMART announces the death of Chief International Representative Scott Parks, who passed away on September 6, 2023, surrounded by his family. All of us at SMART send our condolences to Scott’s loved ones during this difficult time.
Scott Parks was born in Indianapolis, where he would become a member of SMART Local 20 in 1990, completing his apprenticeship and becoming a journeyperson in August 1996. Scott immediately involved himself in his local union: He served on various steering committees for the local’s 1996 and 1999 contracts, as well as in the Local 20 Youth-to-Youth Program. He was elected business representative in 2001; nine years later, in July 2010, he was elected to serve as the local’s business manager and financial secretary-treasurer. At the local, with a jurisdiction spanning Indiana and portions of Kentucky, Illinois and Michigan, his duties included responsibility for the supervision and direction of 13 business agents and one organizer.
In 2019, Scott became a general vice president on the SMART General Executive Council. He was also an AFL-CIO delegate, president of the Indiana State Building Trades and secretary-treasurer of the Great Lakes State Council. He served as chairman of Local 20’s Dad’s Day committee, as well as on the boards of the Central Indiana Building Trades Council, East Central (Muncie) Building Trades Council and the Central Indiana Labor Council. Most importantly, Scott committed himself fully to the membership, both of Local 20 and across North America.
“Our union has lost a true leader in the sheet metal industry,” said SMART General President Michael Coleman. “Scott’s unwavering commitment to our members, and his friendship, will never be forgotten.”
- Union pension provides “dignity and grace” for Local 12 retiree
- So. Cal union sheet metal workers help win citywide project labor agreement
- A conversation about the BE4ALL initiative
- Illinois sheet metal worker on how Local 219 “changed [his] life”
- Union sheet metal workers’ mental health program spotlighted by America’s Work Force Union Podcast
- Ontario sheet metal worker discusses the union difference
- Local 44 sheet metal worker: “SMART was the best choice that I ever made for my family.”
- Northern California sheet metal worker shares member story
- SMART statement on Inflation Reduction Act anniversary
- Department of Labor updates prevailing wage regulations in win for SMART members and building trades workers