Retired Texas State Legislative Director Cornelius “Connie” M. English Jr., 74, died at his home of Congestive Heart Failure, Sat., Oct. 14.
A veteran of the Army National Guard, English joined the Army in 1962 and was stationed in Ft. Polk, Louisiana; Bergstrom Air Force Base in Austin, Texas; and in Okinawa, Japan from 1962 to 1965.
Upon his retirement from the Army, English went to work for Southern Pacific Transport Co. After seven years, he hired out with Southern Pacific Railroad as a brakeman and later as a conductor.
From 1999 until his retirement in 2015, English served the membership as state legislative director of Texas. His son, Brian English, currently serves on the Texas state legislative board as assistant state legislative director.
A visitation is scheduled 5-9 p.m. Oct. 19, with a funeral service at 11 a.m. Oct. 20, at Mission Park Funeral Home South, 1700 SE Military Dr., San Antonio, Texas.
A link to an obituary by the Texas AFL-CIO is here.
- A Memorial Day message from TD President Jeremy Ferguson
- Nevada members: Let Gov. Lombardo know he should sign rail safety bill!
- GO-851 and GO-513 reach tentative agreement with CSX with paid sick days
- Minnesota governor signs omnibus bill, making two-person freight crews law
- Input needed for union’s FTA bus operator safety comment
- Railroad Retirement Board statements of service being issued
- SMART-TD takes lead during ‘Railroad Safety Day’ on Capitol Hill
- Registration for annual SMART Leadership Conference now open for TD officers
- Watch: Local sheet metal unions win back pay for wage theft and worker misclassification
- Union launches rail hours of service violation report, updates safety condition and rail technology event report