In late June, the Department of Labor issued proposed rules governing the introduction of new Industry-Recognized Apprenticeship Programs (IRAPs). These privately-run apprenticeship programs will not be subject to the same standards and rules governing current programs.
Currently, the construction industry is excluded from IRAPs, but nothing makes that exclusion permanent.
That’s why it is now vitally important that the DOL hear from us.
Send a message to the DOL via SaveSMARTapprenticeships.org
We have less than 60 days (until August 26) to submit public comments. Non-union groups are already in the process of swamping the Department of Labor with comments opposed to the exclusion of construction from IRAPs. They look to flood future job sites with low-wage, low-skilled labor classified as “apprentices.”
Our new website — SaveSMARTapprenticeships.org — allows you to quickly and easily send a comment to the DOL in support of maintaining exclusion of the construction industry from IRAPs. Please take a few minutes now to send your message.
Join us in calling on the DOL to maintain the construction industry exclusion from IRAPs and protect the value of our training.
As SMART members, we get state-of-the-art construction industry training, both in the classroom and on the job. We also know first-hand the connections between high-quality training, worksite safety, good wages, and projects getting done on-time.
The foundation of our training programs, our SMART sheet metal apprenticeship, is now in jeopardy.
Take action NOW.
- SMART statement on passage of CHIPS and Science Act
- SMART Local 206 journeyworker wins July NABTU Tradeswomen Heroes Award
- Representatives Norcross and Chu introduce No Tax Break for Union Busting Act
- New Ford EV plant “a game-changer” for SMART Tenn. local
- SMART statement on SCOTUS roll-back of reproductive rights
- SMART Education Department holds organizing training in Portland
- Talking SMART: Member Brings Voice of Working Families to CT Statehouse
- Special Focus: Sheet Metal Workers’ National Pension Fund certified as healthy, in the ‘Green Zone’
- SM Local 73 lends warmth to Chicago residents
- SM Local 9 SMART MAP Eliminates Stigma Around Mental Health