Open enrollment for the new SMART Transportation Division Long-Term Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP) is underway. Enrollment started in May and runs through Nov. 30, 2019. All dues-paying members of SMART TD living in the United States and working at least 20 hours per week can apply for coverage. Members can enroll online by visiting www.smart-vltd.com, contacting their local field supervisor or by calling the SMART TD VDP Enrollment Center at 224-770-5328.
Since May 2019, SMART TD members have had a new disability benefit available to them. Enrollment for the new Long-Term Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP) ends November 30, 2019. Members can apply for coverage if they are a dues-paying member of SMART TD living in the United States and working at least 20 hours per week.
Previously, SMART TD members had long-term disability insurance available to them through MetLife, but the MetLife plan ended April 1, 2019. The new plan is underwritten by Amalgamated Life Insurance Company. Members who were enrolled in the previous MetLife plan are guaranteed approved for a monthly benefit of up to $1,000 per month (2 or 5 years’ duration).
“Applying for the new Long-Term Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP) is easy, because Amalgamated Life Insurance Company uses simplified medical underwriting,” stated Carl Galdine, the VDP enrollment director. “With simplified underwriting, there is no medical exam, only a few medical questions on the application.”
Enrollment packets including a letter, a summary of benefits, and information on how to enroll were mailed to SMART TD members in May and June. Members can enroll online by visiting www.smart-vltd.com contacting their local field supervisor or by calling the SMART TD VDP Enrollment Center at 224-770-5328 and speaking with a benefit specialist.
Below are highlights of the new Long-Term Voluntary Disability Plan (VDP):
- Members can choose between a 2- or 5-year option
- Members can enroll in a monthly benefit ranging from $300 to $5,000 ($100 benefit increments) (monthly benefit may not exceed 60% of gross earnings)
- Previous MetLife participants are guaranteed approved for a monthly benefit of up to $1,000
- Benefit does not offset and pays in addition to all other benefits
- Benefit starts paying after 180 days (6 months)
- Pre-existing conditions are covered after 12 months on the plan
- Benefit covers members on and off the job (24-hour coverage)
- Benefit is not subject to repayment upon receipt of a FELA or personal injury settlement
- Members can retain coverage even if they are furloughed or suspended (portable)
“This new plan was designed to work well with the benefits that SMART TD members already have available to them,” Galdine said. “It stacks on top of all other benefits including the Voluntary Short-Term Disability Plan and RRB benefits. Also, this plan starts after a 6-month waiting period when RRB Sickness Benefits typically end.”
Open enrollment ends Nov. 30, 2019.
For more information or to enroll, contact your local field supervisor, visit www.smart-vltd.com or call the SMART TD VDP Enrollment Center at 224-770-5328.
- SMART-TD announces tentative agreement with BNSF that addresses quality of life issues and predictability for time off
- FRA awards SMART-TD over $600,000 to fill void in rail carriers’ training programs
- Computer outage does not affect TD RTS events
- TD Local 278 shows solidarity with UAW
- North and South Carolina members join for Solidarity Shoot
- What TD members can do to support the UAW strike
- SMART-TD forms new committee to address assaults on bus and transit operators
- Message to rail workers from TD President Ferguson re: UAW strike action
- Effort by coworkers ensures fallen TD Local 1846 member will not be forgotten
- SMART-TD Announces Its Support for STB’s Historic Declaration of Reciprocal Switching