On the night of June 27, our Union tragically lost two Brothers when CSX Conductor Jake Lafave and Conductor Trainee Stephen Deal (both of Local 600) died after being struck by an Amtrak passenger train just north of Union Station in Washington D.C.
On behalf of our entire membership, we extend our most heartfelt condolences to the families and friends of both men, and to their co-workers working out of Cumberland, Md.
Brother Lafave, 25, was with CSX for nearly four years. He is survived by his wife Katelyn and his parents, and we offer special thoughts for his father, CSX dispatcher Jim Lafave.
Brother Deal was 20 years old and had just over two years of CSX service. He is survived by his parents.
An investigation is underway, and SMART will join in those efforts to learn not only what caused this accident but also how to guard against similar incidents in the future.
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Split decision: Unions for engineers and conductors take different routes in freight rail contract ratification vote
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- SMART-TD, BLET town hall yields facts about tentative agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson
- Important update for all SMART-TD and BLET members included in national negotiations
- BLET, SMART-TD to host Town Hall meeting on November 9
- Update on SMART-TD balloting for National Rail Tentative Agreement
- Rule of 2 comment period extended by FRA to Dec. 21