WASHINGTON — Rep. Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.), a long-time friend of the UTU, will be the ranking Democrat on the House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee when the new Congress is seated in 2011.
With the defeat Nov. 2 of Rep. Jim Oberstar (D-Minn.), who had been chairman of the committee and would have become the ranking Democrat when Republicans take control, Rahall will be exercising his seniority to become the lead Democrat on the T&I committee.
The move was confirmed Nov. 9 by the publication, POLITICO, which cited, as its source, a spokesperson for Rahall.
Most air, bus and rail transportation legislation before the House of Representatives is first considered by the T&I Committee.
The Republican expected to chair the T&I Committee is Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.).
Rep. Bill Shuster (R-Pa.) is expected to chair the committee
- SMART-TD announces tentative agreement with BNSF that addresses quality of life issues and predictability for time off
- FRA awards SMART-TD over $600,000 to fill void in rail carriers’ training programs
- Computer outage does not affect TD RTS events
- TD Local 278 shows solidarity with UAW
- North and South Carolina members join for Solidarity Shoot
- What TD members can do to support the UAW strike
- SMART-TD forms new committee to address assaults on bus and transit operators
- Message to rail workers from TD President Ferguson re: UAW strike action
- Effort by coworkers ensures fallen TD Local 1846 member will not be forgotten
- SMART-TD Announces Its Support for STB’s Historic Declaration of Reciprocal Switching