Department of Government and Legislative Affairs
Through our Governmental Affairs Department, we give a voice to SMART members in the halls of power whether it be on the local, state or federal level. The Department promotes the interests of members and working families on issues such as prevailing wages, safety and health, retirement and jobs. In a time when large corporations have a major say in government, the SMART Governmental Affairs Department acts as a means of leveling the legislative and regulatory playing field for working people. More specifically, the Department works by:
- Promoting the interests of members with key members of all political parties in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.
- Building coalitions with like-minded unions, religious and political organizations.
- Supporting the campaigns of leaders who devote themselves to working family interests.
- Educating members about important issues affecting their lives.
- Establishing voter turnout and legislative efforts that favor politicians allied to the cause of working people.
- Raising money through voluntary contributions from members and using those funds to elect political leaders from both parties who are sympathetic to our members’ causes.