Memorial Day is the day we all come together to remember every hero who sacrificed their lives for our freedom and security.
While we cannot pay them back for the ultimate sacrifice made by the greatest of our heroes, the least we can do is make the future brighter for their brothers and sisters at arms.
We also honor them through our SMART Heroes program, to recognize those who stood ready to make the ultimate sacrifice. What better way to make a small down payment on our collective gratitude but with the promise of a bright future brought by a productive career in our industry.
While we stand somber remembering the ultimate sacrifices made for all of us, I urge you to also enjoy your day. Enjoy the extra time spent with your family, friends and loved ones. Enjoy your backyard barbeque and social gatherings. But I ask you this: Please don’t forget who we are remembering and honoring when we do this. Our gatherings honor our veterans—who were so willing to give of themselves to defend their brothers and sisters, and their country.
Unlike Veterans Day, which honors all who served, there is a difference about today. While we honor our veterans through our thoughts and actions, today exists to remember those who have not come home, to thank them and look out for the future of those who return.
Our men and women who serve learned to fight together as a team and as a family, and they look out for one another. I am proud to honor them by welcoming them to our family.
Thank you, and may God bless and keep our fallen, our veterans and active military, our Union and our nation.
Joseph Sellers, Jr
SMART General President
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for 2 person crews
- SMART-TD LACMTA operators ratify tentative contract
- SMART-TD, BLET presidents update members following PEB 250
- SMART statement on passage of CHIPS and Science Act
- Statement from SMART-TD regarding the commencement of the Presidential Emergency Board
- Your experiences – our PEB case!
- SMART Local 206 journeyworker wins July NABTU Tradeswomen Heroes Award
- DIPP assessments to be reduced in October
- Representatives Norcross and Chu introduce No Tax Break for Union Busting Act
- New Ford EV plant “a game-changer” for SMART Tenn. local