Memorial Day is the day we all come together to remember every hero who sacrificed their lives for our freedom and security.
While we cannot pay them back for the ultimate sacrifice made by the greatest of our heroes, the least we can do is make the future brighter for their brothers and sisters at arms.
We also honor them through our SMART Heroes program, to recognize those who stood ready to make the ultimate sacrifice. What better way to make a small down payment on our collective gratitude but with the promise of a bright future brought by a productive career in our industry.
While we stand somber remembering the ultimate sacrifices made for all of us, I urge you to also enjoy your day. Enjoy the extra time spent with your family, friends and loved ones. Enjoy your backyard barbeque and social gatherings. But I ask you this: Please don’t forget who we are remembering and honoring when we do this. Our gatherings honor our veterans—who were so willing to give of themselves to defend their brothers and sisters, and their country.
Unlike Veterans Day, which honors all who served, there is a difference about today. While we honor our veterans through our thoughts and actions, today exists to remember those who have not come home, to thank them and look out for the future of those who return.
Our men and women who serve learned to fight together as a team and as a family, and they look out for one another. I am proud to honor them by welcoming them to our family.
Thank you, and may God bless and keep our fallen, our veterans and active military, our Union and our nation.
Joseph Sellers, Jr
SMART General President
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- SMART General President Joseph Sellers receives George Meany Award during NCCMP Conference
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART Mechanical Department reaches tentative agreement with the NCCC
- Alert for freight rail members
- SMART-TD, BLET joint statement on Labor Day 2022
- Update on PEB 250 recommendations to national agreement negotiations