The Nevada State Legislative Board reports that A.B. 337, legislation requiring two people in the cab of freight trains in the state, passed in the state Senate on Tuesday by a 13-8 party-line vote.
The bill is in the process of enrollment — receiving signatures from both the Senate and General Assembly leadership — and is expected to be on Gov. Steve Sisolak’s (D) desk for his signature in the coming weeks, Nevada State Legislative Director Jason Doering said.
If the bill is signed by Sisolak, Nevada would become the second state this year to successfully enact two-person crew legislation. A bill in Colorado was signed into law on March 21.
A bill in Maryland (H.B. 66) has successfully passed both houses of its Legislature and is awaiting action by Gov. Larry Hogan.
Two-person crew legislation also is progressing in Minnesota (part of H.F. 1555, an omnibus transportation bill) and in Illinois (S.B. 24). The support of members in both states is important for both pieces of legislation to be passed.
Minnesota residents can contact these legislators to show support for the Minnesota bill.
- Senate Majority Leader Paul Gazelka (R – Brainerd): 651-296-4875, Contact: www.senate.mn/members/member_email_form.php?member_id=1169
- Senate Transportation Chairman Scott Newman (R – Hutchinson): 651-296-4131, Email: email@example.com
- Senate Transportation Committee Vice Chairman John Jasinski (R – Faribault): 651-296-0284, Contact: https://www.senate.mn/members/member_email_form.php?member_id=1227
- Senate HF-1555 Conference Committee Member Dan Hall (R – Burnsville): 651-296-5975, Contact: https://www.senate.mn//members/member_email_form.php?member_id=1182
- Senate HF-1555 Transportation Committee Member Jason Rarick (R – Brook Park): 651-296-1508, Contact: https://www.senate.mn//members/member_email_form.php?member_id=1240
- Senate Public Safety/Judiciary Chairman Warren Limmer (R – Maple Grove): 651-296-2159, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Senate Transportation Committee member David Senjem (R – Rochester): 651-296-3903, email: email@example.com
If you are a resident of Illinois, follow this link to find your state legislators and help to keep up the momentum for S.B. 24.
The national two-person crew bill, the Safe Freight Act (H.R.1748), introduced in March has 38 co-sponsors.