The father of UTU State Legislative Director Dan O’Connell died Feb. 25 in Mt. Laurel, N.J., at age 89.
Michael L. “Mickey” O’Connell Jr. was a decorated World War II Navy veteran and a brakeman and conductor with Conrail and two of its predecessors — Pennsylvania Railroad and Penn Central — retiring in 1982.
The elder O’Connell was a member of UTU Local 1390, Trenton, N.J., and predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. During his retirement years, he frequently attended UTU retiree meetings.
In addition to son Dan O’Connell, Mickey O’Connell is survived by his wife of 66 years, Rita, one daughter, a sister and grandson.
A funeral home visitation will be held Tuesday, March 1 (6-8 p.m.) and Wednesday, March 2 (9:30-10:30 a.m.) at Mt. Laurel Home for Funerals, 212 Ark Road, Mount Laurel, N.J. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday, March 2, at Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, 1603 Marne Highway, Hainesport, N.J.
The family has requested that memorial gifts be made to Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, Box 188, Hainesport, NJ, 08036, or Samaritan Hospice, 5 Eves Drive, Suite 300, Marlton, NJ, 08053-3101.
- Union Pacific reaches labor agreement with largest union
- TCU & Shop-Craft Coalition reaches tentative agreement with Amtrak
- Norfolk Southern and SMART-TD statement on conductor redeployment bargaining
- Ohio SLD Whitaker, senators state case for Railway Safety Act before commerce committee
- To better serve you, we have to know where you are!
- UPDATED: President Ferguson appears with U.S. Sen. Brown to discuss Railway Safety Act
- Analysis: Lawsuit means shareholders might not be OK after East Palestine
- FRA issues safety bulletin on grade-crossing shove moves after fatal accident
- Kansas rail safety legislation needs support
- Husband of TD staff member in need of liver donor