The father of UTU State Legislative Director Dan O’Connell died Feb. 25 in Mt. Laurel, N.J., at age 89.
Michael L. “Mickey” O’Connell Jr. was a decorated World War II Navy veteran and a brakeman and conductor with Conrail and two of its predecessors — Pennsylvania Railroad and Penn Central — retiring in 1982.
The elder O’Connell was a member of UTU Local 1390, Trenton, N.J., and predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. During his retirement years, he frequently attended UTU retiree meetings.
In addition to son Dan O’Connell, Mickey O’Connell is survived by his wife of 66 years, Rita, one daughter, a sister and grandson.
A funeral home visitation will be held Tuesday, March 1 (6-8 p.m.) and Wednesday, March 2 (9:30-10:30 a.m.) at Mt. Laurel Home for Funerals, 212 Ark Road, Mount Laurel, N.J. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday, March 2, at Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, 1603 Marne Highway, Hainesport, N.J.
The family has requested that memorial gifts be made to Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, Box 188, Hainesport, NJ, 08036, or Samaritan Hospice, 5 Eves Drive, Suite 300, Marlton, NJ, 08053-3101.
- SMART-TD statement on the results of the U.S. Senate vote to impose the rail agreement
- SMART-TD statement on potential extension of status-quo period
- SMART-TD statement on congressional intervention in the national rail negotiations
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2023
- RRB: Credit for military service under the Railroad Retirement Act
- 2022 Tentative Agreement ratification results and next steps
- Split decision: Unions for engineers and conductors take different routes in freight rail contract ratification vote
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- SMART-TD, BLET town hall yields facts about tentative agreement
- A message to veterans from President Ferguson