The father of UTU State Legislative Director Dan O’Connell died Feb. 25 in Mt. Laurel, N.J., at age 89.
Michael L. “Mickey” O’Connell Jr. was a decorated World War II Navy veteran and a brakeman and conductor with Conrail and two of its predecessors — Pennsylvania Railroad and Penn Central — retiring in 1982.
The elder O’Connell was a member of UTU Local 1390, Trenton, N.J., and predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. During his retirement years, he frequently attended UTU retiree meetings.
In addition to son Dan O’Connell, Mickey O’Connell is survived by his wife of 66 years, Rita, one daughter, a sister and grandson.
A funeral home visitation will be held Tuesday, March 1 (6-8 p.m.) and Wednesday, March 2 (9:30-10:30 a.m.) at Mt. Laurel Home for Funerals, 212 Ark Road, Mount Laurel, N.J. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday, March 2, at Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, 1603 Marne Highway, Hainesport, N.J.
The family has requested that memorial gifts be made to Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, Box 188, Hainesport, NJ, 08036, or Samaritan Hospice, 5 Eves Drive, Suite 300, Marlton, NJ, 08053-3101.
- SMART-TD announces tentative agreement with BNSF that addresses quality of life issues and predictability for time off
- FRA awards SMART-TD over $600,000 to fill void in rail carriers’ training programs
- Computer outage does not affect TD RTS events
- TD Local 278 shows solidarity with UAW
- North and South Carolina members join for Solidarity Shoot
- What TD members can do to support the UAW strike
- SMART-TD forms new committee to address assaults on bus and transit operators
- Message to rail workers from TD President Ferguson re: UAW strike action
- Effort by coworkers ensures fallen TD Local 1846 member will not be forgotten
- SMART-TD Announces Its Support for STB’s Historic Declaration of Reciprocal Switching