SMART Transportation Division-represented trainmen and yardmasters employed by the Terminal Railroad Alabama State Docks have ratified a new six-year agreement by an overwhelming majority.
The new agreement provides for six, three percent annual general wage increases retroactive to April 1, 2012, with the final three percent general wage increase on April 1, 2017, resulting in a cumulative wage increase of 19.1 percent over the life of the agreement, with full back pay.
The agreement establishes a $5 certification pay for yard foreman, increases meal periods to thirty minutes with a one hour meal payment on certain assignments, provides a thirty minute training payment for yard foreman, helpers and yardmasters, and reduces the vacation qualifying years to 12 years for four weeks of vacation and 23 years for five weeks vacation.
The agreement provides for calculating paid military leave days as a start for five day work weeks and allows employees to bank up to 60 personal leave days.
Transportation Division Vice President Dave Wier, who assisted in negotiations, thanks General Chairperson Mark Cook (GO 898), Alabama State Legislative Director Neil Elders, Local 598 Chairperson Blake Kyser and Local 598 Vice Chairperson Billy Johns, “for putting forth exceptional effort in bringing the members’ concerns to the bargaining table and negotiating an agreement with substantial improvements in wages and working conditions.”
- Ultimately, decision about tentative agreement is in members’ hands
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)
- SMART-TD, BLET reach tentative agreement with railroads
- SMART-TD mourns loss of Local 1263 Local Chairperson Richard Keen