SMART SM Local 10 held a series of suicide prevention workshops for members through the Construction Working Minds Program. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC) men in construction die by suicide at a rate four times higher than the general adult population along with similar figures in the transportation industry.
Rather than being a once-a-year subject, suicide in our industries require our attention all year long. One of the ways we do this is with Construction Working Minds with a one-hour training available to members.
Construction Working Minds was established to increase industry awareness and provide valuable resources and create a network that seeks to let people know that suicide affects everyone and all of us have a shared responsibility to prevent it. According to Local 10 Business Manager Matt Fairbanks, “We all know the traditional tools in our tool box, this program delivers our members new tools in the box around Mental Wellness/Suicide Prevention to build our local network and ensuring that not only are we all there for each other, but also that each member knows their brothers and sisters have their back.”
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2023
- Balloting closes TONIGHT for tentative national rail agreement
- Important update for all SMART-TD and BLET members included in national negotiations
- VSTD premium reset and benefit changes announced
- Ultimately, decision about tentative agreement is in members’ hands
- SM Local 9 SMART MAP Eliminates Stigma Around Mental Health
- New SMOHIT Safety Guide Available
- RRB: Medicare Part B premiums for 2022
- ERMA LIFETIME MAXIMUM BENEFIT TO INCREASE IN 2022
- Rail workers’ right to choose medical network upheld