A new light rail line from downtown Los Angeles to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is moving closer to reality thorough a $546 million federal loan to Los Angeles County, reports the Associated Press.
The almost nine-mile line is expected to create 5,000 jobs; and, equally important, improve transit options in heavily congested Los Angeles County. The new line will link with two other light-rail lines in Los Angeles.
Los Angeles County voters previously approved a half-cent increase in the sales tax to help fund the line, reported the Associated Press. The federal loan is expected to accelerate the $1.4 billion project.
Construction is expected to be completed in 2018.
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for two-person crews
- Local 12 apprentices get hands-on architectural experience
- SMART statement on passage of CHIPS and Science Act
- Union Plus opens ‘Unions Power America’ contest￼
- Your experiences – our PEB case!
- SMART Local 206 journeyworker wins July NABTU Tradeswomen Heroes Award