Donald F. “Monk” Markgraf, a former UTU general chairperson on Chicago & North Western Railway (now part of Union Pacific) died March 3 at age 81.
A native of Antigo, Wis., Markgraf hired on at C&NW as a switchman in Milwaukee, and initially was a member of UTU predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen.
He later became a member of UTU Local 322 and was elected its chairperson in 1960. In 1983, he was elected vice general chairperson of GO 225, and general chairperson in 1983. Markgraf retired in 1991.
Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Betty, a son and daughter, and two grandchildren. The family requests that memorials in Markgraf’s name be made to the Ronald McDonald House.
- Ultimately, decision about tentative agreement is in members’ hands
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)