Retired UTU General Chairperson Merlyn Hicks, 85, died Sept. 15 in Arkansas City, Kan.
A U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II, Hicks was employed by the former Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (now part of BNSF) for almost 30 years before his election as secretary to Santa Fe General Committee of Adjustment 009 (Kansas City). He was elected general chairperson in 1980 and retired in 1991. Hicks also served as a delegate, representing UTU Local 464 (Arkansas City).
Hicks was preceded in death by his wife, Charline, and is survived by two children and numerous grandchildren.
- Ultimately, decision about tentative agreement is in members’ hands
- New updating features for TD members in SMART Portal
- SMART launches video news show focused on issues that matter to members
- Ill. governor pledges his support for the Rule of 2
- SMART statement on DOL rule rescinding IRAPs
- Local 556 loses member to alleged drunken driver
- Two-person crew rule’s comment period receives extension
- Registration open for Branson, Mo., TD Regional Training Seminar
- Local 1846 loses member in accident, fundraiser established
- SMART-TD statement on the tentative agreement (Sept. 16, 2022)