Attorney Larry Mann, named by his peers as the “nation’s foremost authority on railroad safety legislation and regulation,” has been appointed by UTU International President Mike Futhey as Rail Safety Coordinator to UTU Designated Legal Counsel (DLC).
In this newly created post, Mann will provide expert assistance on rail safety matters to UTU Designated Legal Counsel. “This will further assure that injured UTU members have the finest possible legal team on their side when bringing law suits governed by the Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA),” Futhey said.
“Larry Mann also will provide assistance to UTU International legal and legislative staff in interpreting laws and regulations and recommending legislative and regulatory improvements,” Futhey said. “During his career, Larry has represented more railroad workers in safety cases before the U.S. Supreme Court than any other attorney in the country.”
In 1994, a respected legal publication named Mann “the nation’s foremost authority on railroad safety legislation and regulation.” In 1997, the Washingtonian Magazine listed Mann as among the “Best Lawyers in America,” based on peer-attorney recommendations. He also has been listed in “Who’s Who in American Law.”
Mann earned his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of North Carolina and Georgetown University Law School. His career began on Capitol Hill as a legal counsel to a U.S. senator, and later to committees of the House of Representatives.
In 1970, Mann was a principal drafter of the Federal Railroad Safety Act. He has also represented claimants following some of the worst railroad catastrophes in history.
In recent years, Mann authored a book summarizing all federal railroad safety laws and regulations, which has become a widely used reference tool for attorneys throughout America.
- SMART statement on President Biden’s signing of the Inflation Reduction Act
- SMART statement on White House Back to School 2022 collaboration to improve indoor air quality
- SMART statement on passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman