PORTLAND, Maine — A Portland man who drove his car around the gates at a railroad crossing as an Amtrak train approached could face charges. Derso Mekonen, 56, drove his car around a line of vehicles stopped at a railroad crossing, Friday, Jan. 27, and collided with an Amtrak Downeaster train.
Mekonen was treated for minor injuries. Amtrak reports that no passengers or crew on the train were hurt.
Portland police told the Bangor Daily News that they are still investigating, but anticipate that charges will be filed against Mekonen.
Read more from the Bangor Daily News.
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for 2 person crews
- SMART-TD LACMTA operators ratify tentative contract
- House leaders introduce bill reauthorizing STB and to assist rail customers
- Local 12 apprentices get hands-on architectural experience
- SMART-TD, BLET presidents update members following PEB 250
- SMART statement on passage of CHIPS and Science Act
- Union Plus opens ‘Unions Power America’ contest￼
- United Rail Unions statement on opening of PEB