Collection boxes have been set up at Chicago’s Union Station to accept donations to assist Amtrak conductor and SMART Transportation Division member Dontreal “Donnie” Bankhead and his family, according to Illinois State Legislative Director Robert Guy.
Bankhead, 40, a member of Local 168 at Chicago, was seriously injured while performing his duties aboard Amtrak Train #364 on the evening of Dec. 5 near Niles, Mich. He was stabbed in the head, neck and several times on his body. Three passengers were also injured in the attack.
“Any SMART members who are able are encouraged to visit one of the contribution locations to make a small cash donation or forward a greeting card. In the meantime, please keep Donnie and his family in your thoughts this holiday season. Thank you for your support,” Guy said.
Donations will be accepted in sealed receptacles until 4 p.m. Dec. 12 at the Human Capital-Talent Acquisition Office on the third floor at 500 W. Jackson Blvd., and at the Transportation Trainmasters’ Office on the third floor of the Maintenance Building at 1400 S. Lumber St.
“The SMART Transportation Division is deeply saddened after receiving the disturbing news that one of our members, while faithfully performing his duties, was seriously injured in a seemingly senseless and random act of violence,” Guy said.
“Our thoughts and prayers go out to our fellow member and the other passengers that were injured during this inconceivable attack. I would like to express my sincere appreciation to our other crew members, passengers and local law enforcement for any assistance that led to the apprehension of this subject.
“SMART Transportation Division will stand ready to assist Amtrak and local law enforcement as the investigation into this rare act of violence moves forward and we will do everything in our power to ensure that the person responsible for these acts is prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”
Guy said Bankhead underwent surgery on Saturday Dec. 6 and is currently in stable condition.
During four years with Amtrak, Bankhead has worked in the finance, mechanical and transportation departments.
- SMART statement on passage of Inflation Reduction Act
- TD Local 446 mourns loss of member who died while on the job
- FRA Administrator Bose: Safety is first
- TTD President Regan: Transportation labor has shown it’s a driving force
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for two-person crews