KANSAS CITY, Kan. — A BNSF Railway yard worker, Thomas F. Bleyenberg, a member of UTU Local 5, Kansas City, Mo., was killed Mon., Aug. 15, when he became trapped between two rail cars at the carrier’s Argentine Yard here.
Bleyenberg was working a two-person remote control assignment with a third student-operator, according to reports.
Bleyenberg, 52, of Independence, Mo., was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Associated Press. He had been a UTU member since 1994.
Bleyenberg is the seventh UTU member killed in an on-duty accident in 2011, the fourth in a yard accident, and the fourth in fewer than 30 days.
The National Transportation Safety Board, assisted by the UTU Transportation Safety Team, is investigating.
Local 5 officers are organizing a “Christmas in October” on Oct. 8 to help Brother Bleyenberg’s family, to give a little TLC to their house and property, Missouri State Legislative Director Ken Menges reports.
Local 5 Legislative Rep. Curt Jones says the Bleyenburg house needs a little painting and winterizing and this event will give a chance for all Tom’s friends and union brothers and sisters to do something that the family will remember for a lifetime.
If anyone would like to help or donate please contact Curt Jones at email@example.com or State Legislative Director Ken Menges at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (573) 634-3303.
- SMART statement on signing of the CHIPS and Science Act
- TD president addresses SMART General Session, TD officers
- Oberman addresses SMART General Session
- Two-person crew saves the life of missing woman
- TD President Ferguson, three members testify before STB
- FRA NPRM: The truth behind the need for two-person crews
- SMART-TD LACMTA operators ratify tentative contract
- House leaders introduce bill reauthorizing STB and to assist rail customers
- Local 12 apprentices get hands-on architectural experience
- SMART-TD, BLET presidents update members following PEB 250