KANSAS CITY, Kan. — A BNSF Railway yard worker, Thomas F. Bleyenberg, a member of UTU Local 5, Kansas City, Mo., was killed Mon., Aug. 15, when he became trapped between two rail cars at the carrier’s Argentine Yard here.
Bleyenberg was working a two-person remote control assignment with a third student-operator, according to reports.
Bleyenberg, 52, of Independence, Mo., was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Associated Press. He had been a UTU member since 1994.
Bleyenberg is the seventh UTU member killed in an on-duty accident in 2011, the fourth in a yard accident, and the fourth in fewer than 30 days.
The National Transportation Safety Board, assisted by the UTU Transportation Safety Team, is investigating.
Local 5 officers are organizing a “Christmas in October” on Oct. 8 to help Brother Bleyenberg’s family, to give a little TLC to their house and property, Missouri State Legislative Director Ken Menges reports.
Local 5 Legislative Rep. Curt Jones says the Bleyenburg house needs a little painting and winterizing and this event will give a chance for all Tom’s friends and union brothers and sisters to do something that the family will remember for a lifetime.
If anyone would like to help or donate please contact Curt Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or State Legislative Director Ken Menges at email@example.com or call (573) 634-3303.
- Computer outage does not affect TD RTS events
- TD Local 278 shows solidarity with UAW
- North and South Carolina members join for Solidarity Shoot
- What TD members can do to support the UAW strike
- SMART-TD forms new committee to address assaults on bus and transit operators
- Message to rail workers from TD President Ferguson re: UAW strike action
- Effort by coworkers ensures fallen TD Local 1846 member will not be forgotten
- SMART-TD Announces Its Support for STB’s Historic Declaration of Reciprocal Switching
- TD local nominations/elections coming up in autumn
- Registration opens for November TD Regional Training Seminar in Iowa